I need to float elements in a container so that they have the same
margin between them.

I've seen somewhere a technique how this can be done without additional
classes, but can only remember part of it.

This works in Firefox and Chrome, but not in both IEs:
        <ul>
                <li>content...</li>
                <li>content...</li>
                <li>content...</li>
                <li>content...</li>
                <li>content...</li>
                <li>content...</li>
        </ul>

CSS: I want a 3px margin between the elements:
ul {list-style-type:none;margin-left:-3px}
ul li {float:right;margin:0 0 3px 3px}

While FF and Chrome show me the intended 3 elements x 2 row array in the
container div, both IE show a 2x3 matrix. Somehow they get the margin
wrong, but I cannot remember how to cure this.

Any ideas?

If i understand correctly, you may want to add a width to both the UL and the LI items:
ul {list-style-type:none;margin-left:-3px; width:600px;}
ul li {float:right;margin:0 0 3px 3px; width:196px;}

That should make sure that 3 list items fit inside the 600px wide UL before wrapping to the next line. Would be easier to say for sure if there was some code to view.