From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Edward Clarke
Sent: 25 October 2008 20:19
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] Writing authoritative content

Aaron,

I'll try and be as constructive as possible but I have to point out a few
things and make some suggestions?!

People who read articles, magazines, discuss on boards, are in large,
learners. We're all students of the Web but all too often we learn on the
advice of others with, what we perceive to be, authority.

The contents of this month's issue states: perfect menus, perfect layouts
and clean code. Now, may I ask on what authority do you claim to be in a
position to write such material? The reason I ask is when I read your post,
I checked out your website, www.stageguy.co.uk, blindly hoping for a useful
resource but instead I was met with a seriously poor mix of HTML which
chokes the validator and makes no sense. Beyond this I checked out your
portfolio and even your clients websites share the same poor mix of HTML
which makes no logical sense (but somehow renders).

Since this is a "standards" list, I'd hope this would be a bigger priority
before imparting your knowledge of CSS, after all, how can you effectively
style poor, invalid markup when the markup is the foundation?

Apologies is this sounds like a bashing, I don't normally post but it's just
I've spent two days with some "web designers" and I've been (not literally)
wringing their necks trying to unlearn authoritative information about
markup and style they've read on the web.

I hope you see this in the light it was meant for. Don't try to run before
you can walk, sort your website out, improve the quality of your clients
work and perhaps you'll have great success as an author and we can all read
and learn, as I've previously mentioned, we're all students of the Web.

Regards,
Edward Clarke
www.ebizconsultancy.co.uk