To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] First Attempt

Andrew November 24, 2008 10:59 AM

On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Kate wrote:

Wow! You hand code
For now, and I think, the foreseeable future, this is still the only
way available if you want to get it right...

...although its a long road
Yes it is! But worth it, and if you start simply, and follow the
excellent advice that others here have offered, I think you'll find
it's quite easy to find your way, and to find others who will be
happy to help when the going gets tough.

Good luck!
***************************************

12 years ago on asking advice in starting down this road, a very wise engineer told me,
"Always code by hand". Use notepad or similar..."

While that was a difficult undertaking, it is the best advice I have had.
I still use a basic editor on occasion, one such as cute html or similar is actually fine. Everyone has their fav, and that's ok, as long as it doesn't "do everything for you" and one learns nothing.

But I have developed a system and basic web standards template system that works, so I have many examples of what I use all the time for clients set in new templates.

Now I mostly work with a CMS such as ExpressionEngine and have developed a Web Standards template system that I modify as needed for all my clients.

I firmly believe that reinventing the wheel for every site is not the best practice. And that browser hacks "may be" sometimes required. A lot of the time not, and we may end up using them to save time.

When one gets a solid foundation and understanding that hand coding offers, one is never stuck in understanding the underlining principles and what is wrong when things just "don't work" as expected.

"I don't know why it don't work, dreamweaver did it" isn't the way to impress clients! lol

"Best viewed in anything you want" is a good label to apply to your sites, and perhaps what Web Standards is all about.

Good luck, do it the hard way and you will know the road well.

Bruce Prochnau
bkdesign solutions