Please, could I ask you to take this "discussion" off-list if you want to continue. It's really degenerated to an unresolvable cycle of "I'm right", "No, I'M right"... When it just comes down to "Use the best available solution for the problem at hand"

All compressed image file formats have strengths and weaknesses.

Andrew