My Web team and I are discussing whether or not we should open links to PDFs
and other non-html pages in a new window. Someone cited Jakob Nielsen's
argument at http://www.useit.com/alertbox/open_new_windows.html as the
reason we should open in a new window. (We all work on government Web sites
and they are about to release a new set of linking standards.)

I know this is an old school type question, but we are very divided about
this. The people on our usability team are with Nielsen, but others (like
me) are not so sure. Isn't accessibility to new windows a problem as it
changes the focus? What do you think?

Carolyn