hi glenda,

"Changing the setting of any user interface component is changing some
state in the control that will persist when the user is no longer
interacting with it. So checking a checkbox or entering text into a
text field changes its setting, but activating a link or a button does
not."
http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-unpredictable-change.html

I think this makes it clear that "on input" does not refer to
activating a link.

regards
stevef

2009/3/12 Glen Wallis <glen.wal...@velocitynet.com.au>:
> Hello all
>

> I am interested to know whether the people on this list consider opening a
> new window without alerting the user to be a failure to conform to Success
> Criterion 3.2.2 of WCAG 2.0.
>

> The success criterion is as follows:
>

> 3.2.2 On Input: Changing the setting of any user interface component does
> not automatically cause a change of context unless the user has been advised
> of the behaviour before using the component. (Level A)
>
> The key phrases, I believe are “user interface component” and “change of
> context”. I looked up the definitions of both phrases. The glossary states
> quite clearly that a link is a user interface component and that a change of
> context includes opening a new window. However, the document “Understanding
> SC 3.2.2” says
>
> “Additional Techniques (Advisory) for 3.2.2
>
> Although not required for conformance, the following additional techniques
> should be considered in order to make content more accessible. Not all
> techniques can be used or would be effective in all situations.
>
> Giving users advanced warning when opening a new window. (future link)”
>
> This seems like a contradiction. The WCAG 2.0 Recommendation is the only
> normative document, so it should take precedence over the Understanding
> document. However, the Understanding document specifically states that
> warning the user is not required for conformance.

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe

www.paciellogroup.com | www.wat-c.org