Hello all

I am interested to know whether the people on this list consider opening a
new window without alerting the user to be a failure to conform to Success
Criterion 3.2.2 of WCAG 2.0.

The success criterion is as follows:

3.2.2 On Input: Changing the setting of any user interface component does
not automatically cause a change of context unless the user has been advised
of the behaviour before using the component. (Level A)

The key phrases, I believe are "user interface component" and "change of
context". I looked up the definitions of both phrases. The glossary states
quite clearly that a link is a user interface component and that a change of
context includes opening a new window. However, the document "Understanding
SC 3.2.2" says

"Additional Techniques (Advisory) for 3.2.2

Although not required for conformance, the following additional techniques
should be considered in order to make content more accessible. Not all
techniques can be used or would be effective in all situations.

*       Giving users advanced warning when opening a new window. (future
link)"

This seems like a contradiction. The WCAG 2.0 Recommendation is the only
normative document, so it should take precedence over the Understanding
document. However, the Understanding document specifically states that
warning the user is not required for conformance.