As I understand this thread, it is not about whether current standards
are right or wrong, but how did we end up with these standards in the
first place?

The current standards did not just spring into existence, fully
formed, out of the brow of some greek god. The standards evolved as
peoples understanding of the web evolved. And the web itself was
evolving at the same time, just as it continues to do. Just as the
standards will continue to evolve.

I'm certainly not saying that I disagree with current web standards,
just that it would be foolish to think that they are *definitive*.

As professionals, it is our responsibility to be reflective
practitioners: to question the status quo and make sure it's really
working. We can't do that without asking questions, or without
listening to people who ask questions.

The web is still an incredibly young medium and anyone who imagines
that the standards we have today will apply to the web of tomorrow
(I'm thinking of about a 10 year away tomorrow) would be naive.

L.