The point of the introduction of Web standards was so that user-agent
manufacturers can create browsers that render them as intended by the
designer.

And that, yes, in 10 years time the browsers that exist then (whatever
form they may take)will still render them as intended because they are
written to those standards.

That is not to say that the standards are fixed in stone and that the Web
will not move forward, but rather that the standards we will move forward
in a coherent way to create a better and better user experience (rather
than the proprietary mess we had pre-standards).

I.E., whilst moving to support Web standards, has to provide support for
legacy sites coded to their earlier proprietary mess.