"We can flag text that appears to be hidden using CSS at Google. To
date we have not algorithmically removed sites for doing that. We try
hard to avoid throwing babies out with bathwater."
MattCutts at Oct 21 2005 - 02:09

That was nearly 4 years ago - One of the issues is that sometimes,
Google does use automated "scaleable' processes for spam control (as
is their stated aim) - and sometimes it just rains babies.....

My point? Any CSS 'hiding' method can be detected algorithmically. And
while it might be for accessibility/ usability/ whatever - it could
get you in trouble. Mostly it won't, if a human checks it, and there
is a accessibility/ usability/ rather than spam intent.

But algorithms on their own can't detect 'intent'......

Chris
http://www.cogentis.com.au/