From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org]
On Behalf Of Chris Dimmock
Sent: Wednesday, 27 May 2009 12:05 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] SEO vs. Accessibility

"We can flag text that appears to be hidden using CSS at Google. To date
we have not algorithmically removed sites for doing that. We try hard to
avoid throwing babies out with bathwater." MattCutts at Oct 21 2005 -
02:09

That was nearly 4 years ago - One of the issues is that sometimes,
Google does use automated "scaleable' processes for spam control (as is
their stated aim) - and sometimes it just rains babies.....

My point? Any CSS 'hiding' method can be detected algorithmically. And
while it might be for accessibility/ usability/ whatever - it could get
you in trouble. Mostly it won't, if a human checks it, and there is a
accessibility/ usability/ rather than spam intent.

But algorithms on their own can't detect 'intent'......

Chris
http://www.cogentis.com.au/

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:25 AM, David Dixon <da...@terrainferno.net>
wrote:

> The thing to remember is that while its doubtful google will spot it
> through an automatic spider, google do manually check pages (either
> randomly, or when the spider, or even a person, flag something up).
> Its that manual detection that will spot this kind of fraud, and will
> likely result in an immediate ban.
>
> regards,
>
> David Dixon
>
> e: da...@temperedvision.com
> w: www.temperedvision.com
>
> On 26/5/09 17:26, Spellacy, Michael wrote:
>
> Hello list! I have a quick question for any accessibility and SEO
> mavens out there. It was recently brought to my attention that a few
> elements I have placed on a site that have text indented 9999px to the

> left for accessibility might be viewed as a form of cloaking by some
> search engines. Is my colleague correct in this assessment? If so, is
> there a middle ground that can be met to make search engines and
> visually impaired folks happy?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Spell

Note: This email, including any attachments, is confidential.
If you have received this email in error, please advise the
sender and delete it and all copies of it from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must
not use, print, distribute, copy or disclose its content to anyone.