At 6/14/2009 02:25 AM, Ido dekkers wrote:
thanks for the help

but for some reason, the #id works only for rows that are visible to start with?
i added id="" to all rows and the #id works only up to row 4?

In the earlier page you posted there were ids in only the first four TRs in the HTML source. In its current iteration, I see ids in all twenty rows, and the URI fragment approach does work, e.g.
http://test3.dekkers.net/policies/viewer.htm#tr10

how do i get the scrollTop ?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/element.scrollTop

Because scrollTop is pixel-based, does it fail to give you the effect you're looking for when the user changes text size in mid-process? If so,

Keep in mind as always that a JavaScript solution will not work in user agents not running JavaScript, which can include search engines, mobile devices, assistive technology, browsers in certain corporate contexts in which JavaScript is globally turned off or stripped out of incoming pages by firewalls, old browsers, and modern browsers used by folks who turn it off for whatever reason. A developer embracing progressive enhancement (q.v.) will first make sure that the page works for everyone and then add client-side scripting to make it faster and cooler for people using script-enabled UAs.

Your policies/viewer page is dead as a doornail without JavaScript running, but it doesn't have to be. It's like you've put all your energy into the icing but forgot to bake the cake. In my own experience, getting a page to work first without JavaScript leads me to such elegant solutions that I end up adding less JavaScript than I had originally thought I would, so everyone wins: the page works universally and it's lighter-weight and more bulletproof for JS-enabled users.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
+1 250-226-7050