2009/6/15 raven <rav...@mail.ru>:
>> Keep in mind as always that a JavaScript solution will not work in
>> user agents not running JavaScript,
>>which can include search engines,
>> mobile devices, assistive technology, browsers in certain corporate
>> contexts in which JavaScript is globally turned off or stripped out
>> of incoming pages by firewalls, old browsers, and modern browsers
>> used by folks who turn it off for whatever reason.
>
> Hmmm... what exactly problem can cause using of JavaScript *in this case*
> from SEO point of view?
> Or what browser, *witch you really support*, don't support JS?
> And what part of your target auditory even know how to disable JavaScript
> execution in their browsers?
> Don't use common words! Give us facts, numbers, tests.

Here's a number for you: when I added JS usage stats gathering about a
year ago to a large site I was working on, I was quite surprised to
find that 10% (rounded to the nearest percent) of unique users were
not running Javascript.  This was one of the major net dating sites in
Europe, with > 1 million membership, so it was a fairly mainstream (as
opposed to tech/webdev) user population.

Many mobile browsers don't support JS. Many corporate networks enforce
JS being turned off.  Search bots typically don't support JS.  Short
answer: you cannot rely on JS being there.

The smart approach is always "progressive enhancement": build the
basic, semantic (x)html version first, exposing all the key
functionality via basic semi-RESTful html, such that it works
effectively without images, CSS, JS/Ajax or other technologies such as
Flash.  Then add goodies for those that have them... you know the
drill.