Speaking as both publications, graphic and web designer, the real problem has always been that the title resides in the head, not in a title tag inside the body.

H1 is reserved for the title of the page. In a document, at least, there's only one title, while there may be many first level headings.

This confusion wouldn't have happened if HTML had a T1 and maybe T2 tag (title and subtitle).

So H1 is, IMHO, not the first level header, but the T1, or main title of the page. A logo is never, IMHO again, the title of the page.

Of course, all web pages aren't documents, which confuses the issue. But I believe this is the back story, at least it's what makes sense to me.

Best regards,

Marilyn Langfeld

+1.202.390.8847 mobile