Enough Darren bashing LOL My apologies for attacking so head-on but it
looked to me that your only intention was to attempt to boost your website
rankings and that is something that Google definitely advises against -
build websites for your visitors and not the search engines.

You mind telling me which of the websites you referenced include more than
one H1? That's what this discussion is about right? Also most of them had a
lot of html errors so not exactly good examples of great web design. Apart
from the BBC website of course - great website ;)

You said that you would include an H1 wrapped around the logo AND and an
additional H1 didn't you? You wanted to know its effect on SEO? Multiple
H1's dilute the relevance of the page and if stuffed with keywords will only
hinder a websites rankings rather than help them. That is why the SEO you
spoke to would recommend to use just one H1.
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/seo-checklist-using-page-headings-correct
ly/7723/

The reason why designers have had a need to place an H1 around the logo is
because the H1 should be first in a documents heading structure, it was to
comply with WCAG guidelines. Due to multiple column layouts a H2 could
easily come before the H1. Read more here -
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200901/headings_heading_hierarchy_and_
document_outlines/

Your reason however was because you believe the logo to be of equal
importance as the H1 lower down the page (for rankings?), not to meet
accessibility guidelines.

My opinion is a logo is not a heading, it is a logo. I agree however there
should be a tag to give the logo more precedence on the page but a heading
is not the correct tag.

"A logo is a graphical element ( <http://www.answers.com/topic/ideogram>
ideogram,  <http://www.answers.com/topic/symbol> symbol,
<http://www.answers.com/topic/emblem> emblem,
<http://www.answers.com/topic/icon> icon,
<http://www.answers.com/topic/sign> sign) that, together with its logotype
(a uniquely set and arranged  <http://www.answers.com/topic/typeface>
typeface) form a  <http://www.answers.com/topic/trademark> trademark or
commercial  <http://www.answers.com/topic/brand> brand. Typically, a logo's
design is for immediate recognition.
<http://www.answers.com/logo#cite_note-wheeler_dbi_pg4-0> [1] The logo is
one aspect of a company's commercial  <http://www.answers.com/topic/brand>
brand, or economic or academic entity, and its shapes, colors, fonts, and
images usually are different from others in a similar market. Logos are also
used to identify organizations and other non-commercial entities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo

By using microformats or the RDFA doctype you can identify the logo in a
vcard along with your company details.

Darren Lovelock
Munky Online Web Design
 <http://www.munkyonline.co.uk/> http://www.munkyonline.co.uk