Checked one of a mobile sites I did that has inline image larger than 480px and
 no width/height attributes were declared in the CSS and markup, but Opera Mini
is able to resize the image fits in the screen.

I think I have a fine guess what has gone wrong with your inline image-it's
simply too long, and Opera Mini resizing the whole image to fit in the screen
propotionally using Height, though I suspect the way you have your img declared
 (auto height and max-width) might have attributed to it but I didn't test it
more thoroughly.

your vision - orignial image
image sie: 620 x 2254px
http://bit.ly/mwdd

I thought maybe html5 be contributed too it too so I made a XHTML version to
compare just in case.

image sie: 620 x 861px
image trimmed - xhtml version
http://bit.ly/mwddd2

trimmed image - html5 version
http://bit.ly/mwddd3

Screen shots taken from Opera Mini and Safari
http://greensho.nexcess.net/mweb/s1.png  - landscape, note that it resized the
image to fit in 320 height thus making the image rendered smaller than the
portrait view below.

http://greensho.nexcess.net/mweb/s3.png  - portrait.

I guess David from Opera has a good explanation for it.

A note for Safari and Andriod, the trimmed image is still too wide and part of
it got cut off, but this can be compensated with reduced percentage in both
width and height.
http://greensho.nexcess.net/mweb/d4.html

David, FYI re input padding bug
http://greensho.nexcess.net/mweb/s2.png