Hi Andrew

Andrew Harris wrote:
Is the offline storage tool in HTML5 designed for this sort of heavy lifting?
are there storage limitations?
on an iPad?

Can you confirm, are you referring to Web Storage[1] or Offline Resources[2]? Web Storage is really just cookies on steroids and probably isn't what you're after to store large amounts of binary data. Offline Resources may be up to it, it's not clear to me what the limits are and I can't find any definitive documentation anywhere, but it's a whole different approach[3].

Rob

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/
[2] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/offline.html#offline [3] http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/iphone/conceptual/safarijsdatabaseguide/OfflineApplicationCache/OfflineApplicationCache.html