I've played around with the appCache quite a bit and it certainly has its
limitations. If you make an update to the manifest file it will re-download
every asset listed in the manifest. The limit, although it isn't documented
anywhere, is 5mb for iPhone and 10mb for iPad. It's really only designed for
assets that will rarely change.

I wrote an article way back you might be interested in -
http://www.thecssninja.com/javascript/how-to-create-offline-webapps-on-the-iphone

-Ryan