On 11/30/10 11:52 AM, Erickson, Kevin (DOE) wrote:
Hi All, The website I work with receives a lot of documents to be
posted that come in the form of Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents.
And now, with the release of the latest versions of Ms Office, they
are coming to me with an "X" on their extensions. I have information
in the footer of all the web pages for access to free viewers for all
documents including these latest extensions. This may be an adequate
CYA but I am not convinced it is the best practice. I know this must
be confusing for some of our visitors. I would like to ask any of you
if you have had to deal with multiple document formats and how you
handled this for the best user accessibility. I am thinking the best
practice is to have, first, a browser/HTML version, second, a PDF
version, and after that whatever version the document was created as,
i.e. Ms Word, PowerPoint, etc.
[...]

I'd opt for just the HTML version. After all, HTML was created to solve
precisely this problem--people trying to communicate using incompatible
software...

Of course, the conversion may not be easy. :\

Cordially,
David