From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org]
On Behalf Of Chris Beer
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:15 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Cc: Erickson, Kevin (DOE)
Subject: Re: [WSG] Document Formats

Hi Kevin

You're also touching on accessibility issues there, as well as gov
business processes, legal requirements etc etc.

One thing I thought worth raising and worth considering though is
copyright - do you even have permission to alter the format of the
document as submitted to you? US is different to us, I know, but
something to keep in mind...

We deal with multiple formats in my workplace constantly. Best approach
we find, when you can, is HTML first, PDF for print as needed. We try to

steer clear of using any file format that isn't an open standard (eg we
don't use.xls when we can use .csv) etc as it can imply inferred support

or approval for a vendor.

Cheers

Chris