jQuery Mobile is a nice, if slightly unpolished due to it's very recent
release, framework - but you're right - it's primarily intended for apps and
I think it works much better if an app is what you have in mind.

If you're looking to do something not quite app-like, then I'd point you in
the direction of Yiibu (specifically this page http://yiibu.com/about/site/)
as an example of what you can do. They're experimenting with a mobile first
approach, combined with elements of responsive web design and feature
detection in order to provide their content to as many mobile devices as
possible. If you dig around their site a little bit, you'll see related
articles that are well worth the read.

I would also recommend the Mobile Web Yahoo group which is quite active and
a great resource for mobile web development.

Hope that helps!

--
Take care,
Tim