Scott,

That attribute is most likely being injected by your text editor. And it
most likely only has a meaning inside that editor You would find that if you
try to validate this page it will throw up unknown attribute error.

The following provides information on how browsers handle unknown attributes
and elements:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ThoughtExperimentInGracefulDegradation

Regards

Mevlana