On 07/21/2011 09:48 AM, wsg@webstandardsgroup.org wrote:
WEB STANDARDS GROUP MAIL LIST DIGEST

From: "Stevio"<redea...@freeuk.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:45:33 +0100
Subject: Modal forms - what to call them?

I am working on a CMS and within it, when a user wishes to add a record, I
give them two options:
1) Add record - this goes to a new web page with a form.
2) Add record modally - this brings up a modal dialog box containing the
form which allows them to add the record without leaving the page they were
on (this page lists the current records). This uses jQuery. Once they add
the record, the list of records is updated using AJAX.

However, what user-friendly descriptive name should I use for the modal
forms? I doubt many people know the word modal. Any suggestions?

It would be laid out as follows:
Add record (pop-up dialog box)?

Clicking on 'Add record' takes the user to a new page, while clicking on
'pop-up dialog box' opens the modal form.

However, I would like something shorter and simpler than 'pop-up dialog
box'. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Stephen

I usually go with business activity - business function with my modal
forms (SharePoint)
e.g. Records - Declare a new record

I am working on a CMS and within it, when a user wishes to add a record, I give
them two options:
1) Add record - this goes to a new web page with a form.
2) Add record modally - this brings up a modal dialog box containing the form
which allows them
to add the record without leaving the page they were on (this page lists the
current records).
This uses jQuery. Once they add the record, the list of records is updated
using AJAX.
However, I would like something shorter and simpler than 'pop-up dialog box'.
Any thoughts?
Just curious -- why offer a choice?

Why not just offer the modal version if JS is enabled and the other
if not?

What is the user benefit of the non-modal option? And is it enough
to justify introducing an extraneous decision into the workflow?

Will the target user understand the implications of the choices and
pick one unhesitatingly? Or think "eh? what?"  :-)

Just askin' ...

I agree that, from a usability point of view, having only one choice- one path- offers the best experience. It just sounds more efficient. So, yes, the modal form (no name) when JS is turned on, and the HTML form (again, no name) for when JS is off. To the user there is only one form.

--
Regards