From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Julie Romanowski
Sent: 23 August 2011 16:12
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] How do you cater to users with disabilities?

Mike, maybe you should have worded your question a little differently. At my
company, we don't approach accessibility as "catering to users with
disabilities", but we work toward making applications accessible to the
greatest number of users possible. No application will ever be 100% accessible,
but following standards and WCAG 2.0 guidelines helps us to get as close to
100% as possible.

To answer your question - Sticking to standards is not enough. Accessibility
and usability testing are critical. At my company, we have both an
accessibility lab and a usability lab. We have accessibility and assistive
technology (AT) experts onsite who test using various AT, and who work with
actual AT users to identify issues with applications. We also train designers
and developers to identify accessibility issues early in the design and
development lifecycle. There are several other companies I know of that are
doing the same and so much more, such as Adobe, IBM, Microsoft and Yahoo.

As for developers not caring about people with disabilities, I disagree. There
is a large community of developers who take accessibility seriously and are
striving to make applications accessible to people with disabilities.