From: Cole Kuryakin
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:16 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] IE7 Issues - The Final Three

Hello Sean –

Thanks very much for the link – I tried the (giving the parent element [#content_main] a higher “z” than the hr [#content_main hr] but still no love in IE7. Will have to keep investigating this problem.

The most critical problem I have is Bug 2 – vanishing wrapper footer, footer nav and copyright line.

I just did some more experimenting and found that If I remove the clearing div (right before the end of the wrapper div) bang! Everything comes back in IE7… but of course, disappears in EVERY other browser. Arg! Already have a height declaration in my .clear rule so don’t really know where else to go on this but have to keep trying.

Thanks for your suggestions… if anything else comes to mind particularly regarding bug 2 please let me know.

Cole

Any particular reason you don't simply hide the clearing div from IE7 altogether using conditional comments?

Browsers other than IE7 see the div declaration. IE7 is blithely unaware of it. If all you need is to remove that div in IE7-only to resolve the issue, do it.

cheers,
scott