On 2011/12/20 15:42 (GMT+1100) Grant Bailey composed:

If the link is to an external site then personally, I prefer the link to
open in a new window automatically. Also, not all devices make it easy
for users to open a link in a new window on request.

I detest pages that think it's their business to decide when I should have a new window. It's my computer, my decision to make, which only very rarely is more than one window per open application. Whenever I encounter such rudeness, I try to show my gratitude by leaving the site completely never to return. When that's not practical I close the window and open the rude URL via history in a new tab or the tab opened from, whichever makes more sense in the situation.

Forced new windows must really be no fun for users of hand held devices where all windows need to be full screen to be of any use.

It should be sufficient to indicate a link is to offsite via special hover behavior so that the visitor can choose a new window, or tab, _if_ desired.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/