Janice Schwarz <jan...@geekartist.net>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM, MJ Ray <m...@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure there is no such standard preventing mobile phones
> > from opening new windows because my aging nokia e90 can do it (since
> > one of the early upgrades - move to the link, left shoulder button,
> > "Open in New"), Firefox on Android can - but it's been a while since
> > I tried an iPhone and I can't remember if that does, but I'd be
> > surprised if not.  For all the difficulty of fixing iPhones, there's
> > not usually that much glaringly broken on them.  If there was, they'd
> > not be as popular as they are.
> >
> > So I still think it's a bug if a browser can't open a new window and
> > wonder what phones you've being using.  Or can someone say what
> > mobile phone standard prevents new windows on links?
>
> I have witnessed this on 2 Droids & 1 iPhone . This has been the
> behavior for both versions of the Droid, and the iPhone I used.

That's interesting. I wonder if the bug on Androids only affects
some manufacturers?  I believe the one I tested was from HTC.

But no standard preventing user control of windows, then.

[...]
> When the OS informs you that you are exceeding the maximum number of
> *allowed* windows, that seems more of a limitation than a bug. If you
> open enough windows on a desktop or laptop, eventually it crashes too.

I managed to open 112 windows on my netbook by mistake yesterday
(crimes of a dying keyboard).  No sign of any crashing, although it
took a while to clean up!

> There is no unlimited number of windows that can be run on any system,
> and a phone has far fewer resources than a desktop or laptop.

This is exactly why new windows should be under user control and not
website control, so users can choose where to apply the resources!

Hope that informs,