" You wouldn't put up with a web page that forced you to read a short message
and hit the delete key before seeing the rest of the page."

That's exactly what the new European cookie law is going to force you to do.

-----Original Message-----
From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Croft
Sent: 19 March 2012 03:10
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] WSG - Time for a re-think on WSG.

yes - it is no big deal as an individual act, but in aggregate contributes to
the advere side of the S:N ratio. The fact that it is demonstrably totally
unnecessary makes it all the more irritating.
Yes, I could write a filter to catch these messages, but this is the 21st
century, there are email transfer standards, we have 24 hr wireless pizza
delivery, and I shouldn't have to.

You wouldn't put up with a web page that forced you to read a short message and
hit the delete key before seeing the rest of the page.
Chances are you would probably not go there more than twice (the second time to
confirm, 'are you for real?!').

If people are already at borderline S:N, 'a very small amount of time'
is it all it is going to take to push them over the 'unsubscribe' edge and seek
their web standards jollies elsewhere.

Also, it is the professionalism thing...

jim