Hi Greg,

N1DAM wrote:
> Longer term, it would be good to have a roadmap for removing the
> need/desire to use non-Free code, as it seems to be causing signficant
> practical problems (with the resulting lack of portability arguably
> being the largest issue).  I've seen some comments on the list, but am
> unclear on the status/prognosis.
>
> How bad is it for someone to choose not to use KVASD?  Does it cost them
> decode performance, or CPU time, or both?  Or is it really not a
> feasible choice?  The documentation I've found doesn't address this; it
> just says "go get this non-free code, with an implicit "assuming it's
> available for the os/version/cpu that you want to run it on"".

WSJT-X works well without kvasd.  The program has a built-in
hard-decision Reed Solomon decoder.  The patented soft-decision decoder
implemented in kvasd with proprietary code is about 2 dB more sensitive.

At HF one might consider a 2 dB penalty rather moderate.  But for EME,
the purpose for which JT65 was originally designed and now widely used,
those 2 dB are very important.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT