Joe,
Here are my results for your data set. I ran 3 cases. The execution times are
the average of two runs.

Cases
1. wsprd
2. wsprd_exp (Fano, 10000 cycles)
3. wsprd_exp (Jelinek, 5000 cycles)

Results
1. 2657 (2) decodes in 359s
2. 2760 (13) decodes in 359s
3. 2749 (3) decodes in 346s

The interesting part is the number in parentheses. This time, I paid attention
to the number of obviously bad decodes. It’s not easy to find the bad decodes
that show up as type 1 callsigns - but it is easy to find and count the ones
that show up as type 2 or 3 callsigns with a forward slash “/“. The number in
parentheses is the number of bad decodes with a slash in the callsign. It needs
to be said that we see only the bad decodes that aren’t trapped by a sanity
check in the unpacking routines.

There is something funny going on with the Fano decoder in case 2. Here is the
result of doing a grep for “/“ in the ALL_WSPR results from the three cases:

Case 1. wsprd
$ grep / Results_wsprd
0342 -28 0.5 0.001523 0 PH6/OK1SCE 10
0630 -14 -0.8 0.001518 0 M0N/BX6IJG 30

Case 2. wsprd_exp Fano
$ grep / Results_Fano.txt
0114 -16 -0.3 0.001524 0 88Y/9E3XMR 33
0148 -22 -0.9 0.001523 0 C4S/U23 27
0512 -12 -1.4 0.001544 -1 EYJ/BD3OWF 43
0526 -5 -1.1 0.001515 -1 J28/JH9VOA 10
0530 -10 -1.3 0.001527 -1 XIR/L12IRI 57
0534 -21 0.1 0.001451 0 5EY/588TIB 53
0540 -9 -1.3 0.001498 -1 286/CI7RCI 13
0614 -8 -1.2 0.001523 -1 W64/CZ9IYO 13
0616 -31 -1.0 0.001491 0 M2Q/ZG4VPX 13
0704 -10 -1.3 0.001550 -1 KN4OHP/44 53
0746 -8 -1.4 0.001525 -1 ATD/012KCR 27
0856 -19 -0.8 0.001523 0 I02/VK3PNP 20
1400 -17 -0.5 0.001459 0 P2INE/2 53

Case 3. wsprd_exp Jelinek
$ grep / Results_Jelinek5000.txt
0114 -16 -0.3 0.001524 0 88Y/9E3XMR 33
0616 -31 -1.0 0.001491 0 M2Q/ZG4VPX 13
0654 -12 -1.3 0.001523 -1 1LY/GH4 40

Note the large number of bad decodes coming out of the Fano decoder in case 2.
There is only one bad decode that is common to cases 2 and 3. If you look at
the times, it appears that the bad decodes in case 2 are coming in bursts. I
have to wonder if this corresponds to special noise conditions, e.g. lightning
storm.

It’s hard to reconcile the large difference in bad decodes between pairs 1-2
and 2-3. In 1-2 the decoding algorithm is the same and in 2-3 the candidates
are the same.  Strange, eh?

I’ve just gone back and looked at bad decodes using the same “forward-slash”
criterion on two groups of my own wav files and in each case I see either 2 or
3 bad decodes out of about 2000 for Fano and Jelinek. There are no big
differences between the number of bad decodes in cases 1-3 for my test data.
Still strange.

Steve k9an