Can you run "ldd" on the jt9 executables?  That may point out what's different.

de Mike W9MDB

    On Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 1:26:40 PM CST, Doug Collinge
<doug.colli...@gmail.com> wrote:

 I have done a fair amount of work to try to isolate the circumstances that
produce the leak.- I used some spare partitions to build clean Ubuntu systems
of various vintages. I installed the deb of 1.9.0-rc2, tested, then removed
that and built it from the source using the libraries provided by the
distribution, whatever version they were.- 16.04 LTS: the deb installed, no
leak. Built from source, no problem, no leak.- 17.10: the deb installed, no
leak. Built from source, it leaks.- 18.04 (Daily): deb won't install because
the repo does not have readline6, just readline5 and readline7 for some reason.
The source builds and runs but I haven't got the sound working yet so I can't
tell if leaks or not.
I am not finished here. I am tabulating the versions of the dependencies of the
jt9 executable to try to see if there is a particular version that is causing
the problem. I think the results above suggest that the problem exists in
something that is statically compiled into jt9 because the deb works but the
compiled version does not.
By the way, the build instructions could use an update. I found several
dependencies that are not mentioned there.