Bravo Bill! I agree 100%.

Bobby/N4AU

From: Bill Somerville
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2019 11:53 AM
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Someone released an Auto CQ mod - my 2 cents

On 31/03/2019 17:12, Carey Fisher wrote:

  All I have to say, and I've been saying for some time now, is that maybe
developers will now think twice before releasing software such as this as Open
Source.
Carey,

that shows a major misunderstanding of both Open Source software and the
complexity of WSJT-X. WSJT-X uses two major components provided by third-party
teams that are themselves Open Source. There are no other free equivalent
components of sufficient quality and scope and writing our own would take many
man-years of effort and ongoing maintenance. These components give us an
essential leg up to providing a portable cross-platform application of the
highest quality with reasonable development timescales. There are reasons why
many closed source applications are Windows only and these factors are high on
the list.

Aside from that, of the latest two "robot" offerings being touted, one does not
require any changes to WSJT-X source code and the other is being offered as a
contribution with the contentious robotic parts removed. Either way the WSJT
team have no interest in WSJT-X being used as a QSO robot and the automation
that has been provided already is only in response to large scale user demand.
For example auto-sequencing and "Call 1st" were deemed necessary for FT8
because the small thinking time between decodes completing and the next
transmission period requires super-human concentration and reaction times. For
QSO modes like FT8 we have a basic user interface rule that each QSO must be
initiated by some operator action, e.g. calling CQ or replying to a CQ. At the
end of a QSO for normal DX contacts the user has the final say on whether a
completed QSO is logged, WSJT-X will prompt the user to log a QSO but they must
take further action to confirm a good contact or reject a bad one. There are
other operator aids for high QSO rate situations, like contest operating and
running a rare and popular DX operation, related to logging QSOs but the
requirement for an operator action to initiate each QSO is always maintained.

What is worth noting is that the small WSJT development team expends a lot of
thought and time on how to combat rogue patched versions and add-on tools that
attempt to exceed the levels of automation we deem sufficient. These are either
misguided or malicious. This detracts from core development and maintenance and
we would rather not have to give up that effort.

On a personal note; my opinion on QSO robots, aside from their questionable
legality in many countries, is that most Amateur Radio operators would not
consider a QSO with a machine to be worthwhile and to find out that they had
done so unknowingly would be very annoying. For those that attempt to deploy
such robots, I suggest they go a step further and dispense with the radio
equipment and use their PC skills to mock up the certificates and awards and
print them directly, that way no one else is being disappointed and they can
save themselves a whole lot of cost and time building, operating, and
maintaining an Amateur Radio station.