On 24/06/2019 18:46, Dave Slotter wrote:
I was wondering, if WSJT-X uses HamLib, and at least some rigs are capable of setting and getting the transmit power, why do users have to fill in the Log QSO Field, "Tx power", manually? Is there a reason for not implementing this feature?

Hi Dave,

the main reason is inaccuracy. Using AFSK modes allows the power to be controlled in many ways including using the audio level into the rig. The power setting on the rig may have little bearing on the actual radiated power. The rigs that allow metering the power leaving the transceiver PA could be more accurate but require constant polling of the Tx power meter level while transmitting. Even if the above were not an issue, an individual station may be using a PA after the transceiver. In summary, the user has a much better idea of the radiated power than any indirect measurement available via CAT commands.

For a counter example, measuring SNR of received signals is far more deterministic and reliable and we happily support that as an automated feature in the WSJT-X modes.