Von: Hasan al-Basri [mailto:hbasri.schie...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. Juli 2019 12:33
An: WSJT software development
Betreff: [wsjt-devel] Loss of Decoding in WSJT-X with Audio Still Present

First of all, no, the cause is not clock error.

I have found the "proximate" cause, however, after weeks of hunting. I worked
with W9MDB and tested/considered many potential causes. I even  thought I had
found it several times. In all those cases there was a confounding variable,
which I have now isolated. I have found the cure, just not the cause, hence I'm
posting this info here.

  I have been fighting this problem for weeks, and finally found a reproducible
 set of actions that cures the problem, immediately every time! (until it
recurs and then the same steps solve it)

In this discussion X means the 64 bit 2.01 version of WSJT-X, and JTA means
JTAlert. (earlier versions of both programs act the same way, since installing
the first 64 bit version of X. That may have been a coincidence, (64 bit
install), but what follows is not!

I have observed 100%  correlation  between the problem and running both
programs involved listed below. I am not assigning cause, but some sort of
interaction between the two programs has got to be the cause, as doing what I
describe below restores decoding in X every time.

What doesn't work:

Stopping X with button.

Closing X and restarting it.

Closing other running programs like Chrome, SDRC, etc

What has cured it every time:

 Shut down JTAlert.

Proof:

Every time I found X not decoding, but audio was still showing on the
thermometer and also showing on the waterfall:

I closed JTA and immediately on the very next sequence, X began decoding again.
(On its own, I did no intervention with X at all)  I could then restart JTA and
X would continue to decode for hours, if not days (2 or 3 max). When it
eventually stopped decoding again, a simple closing of JTA restored X decoding
at the next sequence.

So, the stoppages are random, going no more than a few days, but the cure is
not!

This has worked EVERY time since discovering the correlation between X and JTA!

Prior to this, the only cure was to reboot the computer.

If you are having this problem, and also run JTA, try my solution.

I have no idea what the cause might be, but this correlation should give  the
development team an idea where to look.

Win10 Home, 64 bit, AMD Quad Core

Also, this does not happen on every computer I have running copies of X and
JTA. Not every one of them is using JTA.

73, N0AN

Hasan