Since I'm replacing this AMD computer with an Intel Core I5 in a short
while, I don't want to invest a ton of time chasing down this problem if it
only affects me and a couple others. It will go away when I change
computers, as I have this same combo running on another machine with no
issues.

In the mean time, here is the work-around I've set up:

Put this in a batch file: (use notepad to create)

taskkill /F /IM jtalert.exe

Mine is called jta_kill.bat
Save to desktop

Use Microsoft Scheduler to Create a Task to Run this program (a.k.a. Batch
File in this case) every day at 1:15 a.m.  (which will stop JTAlert)

Use Microsoft Scheduler to Create another Task in which you tell it run
jtalert.exe with the argument /wsjtx every day at 1:18 a.m. (which will
start JTAlert 3 min after the above kill)

Here is a YouTube video on how to do it, but I used the written
instructions that were below the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Cc29ZMpr0

This video shows how to create the batch file and use it in Windows
Scheduler to Stop a program. Just create a 2nd scheduled task after this
and have it start JTAlert.exe with the /wsjtx argument.

There is a mistake in the written instructions:
Type "taskill /f /im "*filename*.exe"

Should read: taskkill /F /IM jtalert.exe

No need for the quotes and he forgot a "K" in taskkill

I can't believe how simple it was! While it doesn't solve the mystery, it
covers up the problem as long as X doesn't keep decoding for 24 hours. If
it does hang, it will get fixed at the next run of Scheduler.

73, N0AN

Hasan