On 21 Feb 2020 at 9:40, Joe Taylor wrote:

> Hi Martin and all,
>
> Bill has already given you the correct answer.  In FT4 and FT8 there are
> only about 2 seconds for decoding before the nominal start of the next
> sequence.  If you are using deep decoding, perhaps with AP, and/or have
> a slow computer, some decodes may take place after the sequence boundary.
>
> Entries in the ALL.TXT file are written in the order in which they
> occur.  Their timestamps are simply rounded down to the most recent
> start of a sequence.  Thus, late decodes that occur after the sequence
> boundary may have an incorrect timestamp -- as you and others have noted.
>
> Of course this could be fixed -- we have known about it for a long time.
> So why has it not been fixed?  Simply put, because nobody has got around
> to it.
>
> ALL.TXT is an undocumented feature in WSJT-X.  It's there, first and
> foremost, as a very useful tool for us developers.  And we have been
> busy with other matters we have found more pressing or more interesting.
>   Most likely, it *will* be fixed in the next release.
>
>       -- 73, Joe, K1JT

Hello Joe, many thanks for the information.  It's reassuring to know that the
issue with the
timestamps in the ALL.TXT file had previously been recognised and will
hopefully be fixed in
the next release of WSJT-X.

Although ALL.TXT is an undocumented developer-tool feature in WSJT-X I, and I
suspect
quite a few others, occasionally find it extremely useful to be able to examine
the contents of
ALL.TXT, for example to get a detailed record of my Tx and Rx exchanges with a
DX station
in order to verify completion of a QSO, or to be able to provide details of the
exchanges
between other stations.  Currently, the issue with potentially-incorrect
timestamps on some
entries in the file makes it somewhat more difficult to build an accurate
picture of all the
to-and-fro traffic, so an eventual fix for the issue will be most welcome.

For what it's worth, my current 'radio' PC on which I'm running WSJT-X (plus a
few other
apps concurrently) is definitely what would these days be termed a slow machine
- it's got an
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU running at 3.0GHz, has 4G of RAM and is running
32-bit WIn 7
Pro - and I do notice that the decoding of a very busy band, eg. 40m at night,
often over-runs
the boundary of a 15-sec sequence by a second or two, so this could clearly be
a contributory
(or perhaps the sole) factor in causing the incorrect timestamps to be written
into ALL.TXT.
Perhaps I need to consider upgrading both my PC's hardware and OS as a matter
of some
urgency...  :-)

--
73, Martin G0HDB