Mike,

how would calling rig_set_powerstat before calling rig_close stop Hamlib unilaterally turning on some rigs. Also since only a few rigs can be turned on by CAT commands the whole premiss that there is some new assumption that the rig is turned on before Hamlib can do a rig_open is bogus. What's wrong with an error return from rig_open that the application can deal with, including calling rig_set_powerstat if it wants to. Libraries that control hardware should not do things that have not been asked for. At least make this new and unnecessary behaviour optional and controllable by the client that is using the Hamlib library, it's not your job to. Do things that are asked for, making it possible to do such things when asked for by the client is fine.