Ed,

what you describe is simply not possible. WSJT-X has to have a current configuration, if you want to delete the current configuration then another must become current. If you don't want the current configuration and you don't want to switch to another then all you need do is reset the current configuration, that will shift all settings to defaults, as if you had installed WSJT-X for the first time, with the exception that any other configurations you have created will be preserved.