On 10/26/20 8:47 PM, Paul Bramscher wrote:

Hi Paul, Christoph & all,

Many thanks for this very interesting information.

I'm a long time user of the Red Hat, then Fedora distribution. At the decision time of the distribution to use, this was probably not the wrong choice, but time has gone and I'm less and less convinced that this is not more the best choice for me. Today, Fedora is really an experimental distribution. The introduction of pulseaudio and systemd have been difficult. Now, the introduction of btrfs as standard filesystem is planned for the next release. Further, the support dropping of the i386 architecture is another problem.

Now, the question which occurs for me is "is it better to switch to Debian stable ?". The sublevels (stable, testing, etc.) are not the same in Debian and Fedora. For me, it's difficult to understand which are the matching sublevels.

At the present state, I think that the switching to Debian stable, with the backports option, could be a good choice. Today, I'm not more a big software designer, but I'm only a little one.

Many thanks to you for your valuable advice.

Best wishes,
Claude (DJ0OT)

I've recently added wsjtx 2.2.2 to buster-backports. So you can just
install from there, or "apt build-dep wsjtx".

I've compiled WSJT-X for a number of years now on Debian without
significant issues.  I was able to resolve all dependencies from within
the regular repo.

Currently running Debian 10 Buster, fully patched to the current
version.  If you search the forum archives for my callsign you should be
able to see a couple related discussion threads with specific information.

Yesterday I compiled 2.3.0-rc1 on my Debian 10 machine that runs WSJT-X
2.2.2 and encountered no new dependency issues.  So once you get the
initial dependencies met, it becomes smoother sailing.

I am currently working 30M FT8 with a Kenwood TS-590.  No issues
encountered yet.

73, KD0KZE / Paul