On 01/08/2021 16:44, George J Molnar via wsjt-devel wrote:
Submitted for discussion…

Would it make sense to make the default sequence for VHF+ operation the “Contest Mode” style with no signal reports, no “CQ TEST” and no contest log being generated? Good old-fashioned Grids-Only mode. We don’t need signal reports on weak signal or Es VHF work, where the intent is to have a valid contact in minimum time.

We can probably eliminate the “VHF and above” features checkbox, too. There does seem to be confusion around it, sometimes. Just have the application default to VHF settings, grids only, above 29.700 MHz.  If “Special Activity” is selected, then the appropriate TEST message can be generated along with opening a Cabrillo log.

I’m not advocating changing the below-50 MHz setting, since I think the howls would be large and sustained.

Thoughts?

*George J Molnar, KF2T
*College Park, Maryland, USA

George,

that is a non-starter in Region 1 at least since the Region 1 VHF handbook defines a QSO to include a piece of QSO specific information being exchanged and confirmed. A grid square does not meet that criteria. OTOH the grid square is not required by that definition of a QSO.