Thankyou Mike

73

vk4tux

On 2/5/23 13:31, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
Nobody owns the definition of split....as for confusing hams they are only confused because they refuse to learn.

#1 Rigs have a split button -- it lights up.  That's split mode -- no requirement that VFOB be on any different frequency than VFOA.  You can run CW Skimmer on an IC-7300 with VFOA on FM mode to give you 12KHz width for receive and VFOB on CW to transmit -- that's split mode too and you may be in a CW contest working operators on their frequency or working a DXpedition in frequency split. #2 Nobody has ever come up with a simple word to describe the audio split done in WSJT-X modes.  It does follow the tx on 1 and rx on another in the audio space and does in audio what different frequencies do so it is just split using another method. You could shift audio by changing frequency if you wanted to. #3 This discussion comes up every couple of years and never goes anywhere other than to educate some people about the audio split. #4 When you pick "Rig Split" in WSJT-X your rig goes into split mode -- it doesn't know why you want to do it and that's what some are arguing is the "why"....it's still split mode as the little light is lit up.  Fake It was done for rigs that didn't handle Rig Split well and None for rigs that can't do either or don't need either (there are a few).'

So we have:
#1 Rig split -- hardware -- could be RF or just mode or cross-band
#2 Freq (RF) split -- operations (WSJT-X Fake It)
#3 Audio (AF) split -- software

CW/Phone people use #1 and #2. WSJT-X uses all 3.

A lot of the motivation for Rig Split and Fake It came from people overdriving their audio and the subsequent harmonics.  WA1SXK and I have been on the warpath for over 3 years helping clean up all these harmonic generators...it's pretty rare to see them now as we have contacted hundreds of operators and have a paper on my QRZ page explaining how to set up your audio to avoid it.

Mike W9MDB