Jim, Mike and all experts,

May I repeat a bit history of 'split' in the WSJT-X as I have learned it.
1# The split operation or split mode is mentioned on the radio settings. It
defines how WSJT-X controls radio and that's the only usage of the split
word in the User Manual.
2# Limiting the usage of the split word to that most probably was a logical
decision to prevent mixing it to the 'split working', hi! Well, in reality
WSJT was designed for various weak signal modes especially EME and there is
(was) no need for any split working as known in HF pileups!
3# Unfortunately that choice is shown to be very misleading to HF operators
due to the split (working) practices in other modes, CW and SSB.
4# We should dilute the situation by adding suitable words both into the
'split operation' section(s) and the 'Hold Tx Freq' section(s) in the User
Guide. The 'split operation' may just need a 'warning' that this is not the
'classical' split working as the transmitted frequency does change. The
'split mode' as such is clear and no need to make any addition. The 'Hold Tx
Freq' description/recommendation may require just a statement that this is
the (classical) split working as known in DX pileups and should not be mixed
with the CAT control related 'split operation' of the rig. WSJT-X may or may
not use the 'split operation' in the 'split working' depending on the
selected Tx audio frequency.

My second 2 cents.
73, Reino OH3mA

If