Upon further review...
I finally got to the book and gave it a proper reading.  (Although I still need
to go back and do some of the excercises)
I was inaccurate in my initial comments based on a superficial browsing of the
book a couple months back.  Mea culpa.

The first half is a lot of review, but there are definitely some nuggets and
neat tricks in there, many he points out and others jump out at you.  He does a
good job of illustrating test-first scripting for example, he shows Ruby
short-cuts and nuances that are cool but not necessarily obvious, etc.

The middle chapters on project organization, packaging, building etc. are very
valuable and definitely helped me see how I could reorganize some of the
projects I've done to make them easier to mangage, enhance, and share with
others.  I look forward to using his project template utilities and seeing what
they do.

The last few chapters are really pretty cool -- I'm looking forward to reading
them again and working on the exercises to catch everything but he hits on some
slick stuff.

And although it didn't meet my initial expectations, which as I've now learned
were off-base from the book's intentions, I found it to be a very good resource
on the craft of scripting and that it gives you a lot of tools and concepts to
apply to your test scripting projects.

I would recommend it to both newbies and experienced ruby programmers, as Chris
McMahon pointed out
"Even if you know this stuff, there are surprising little
bits that will still probably take you by surprise, unless you are
very, very good at Ruby." (and even then I bet :-)

And lastly, the book has some good philosophy on scripting and testing in
general.  He provides a lot of insight from an experienced point of view that I
found helpful and enlightening.