On Wed, 30 Nov 2016, David Borman wrote:

Michael, The problem with the jumping windows started with Yosemite
and continued with El Capitan.  As of Sierra, the problem has gone
away.  As far as I know, it has never been understood or explained
what caused the behavior, and what changed with Sierra to make the
problem go away.  It is definitely an interaction between quartz-wm
and Mac OS, if you run a different window manager you don’t have the
jumping xterm issue.  The wiindows don’t randomly jump, it is very
predictable: the x and y coordinates of the upper left corner of the
window get doubled.

Yeah, I noticed that the jumping wasn't random, they always jumped to
the same place, but it didn't quite seem like a doubling of both coords,
as my Y coord for all terms was set to 0.

Again, this is brand new behavior for me.  I'd seen it being discussed
on this list, but I did not experience it until 2.7.11.

I'm not necessarily complaining, just trying to add more data points
about the behavior.

My recommendation is to upgrade to Sierra to resolve the jumping
window problems.

Others have reported differently.

As to not being able to open new xterms, if you still have any working
xterm windows, try starting up an xterm directly from that window.  If
it fails, you should then see any error diagnostics from xterm for why
it was unable to open up a new window.

New test this morning.  CMD-N will not launch an xterm.  From an
existing xterm, I can run other X-clients, like 'xlogo' or 'xload', but
'xterm' just sits quietly there and never produces a window, no errors.
However, from an xterm logged into a remote system, I can thrown an
xterm back to the Mac's X11 display.

                        -David Borman

--
Michael Parson