Hi Melroy,

On  Do 21 Mai 2020 16:57:06 CEST, Melroy van den Berg wrote:

Ah, you have paying customers?

Yes, there are paying customers for X2Go, but booking is done for specific tasks, new features, etc. For X2Go Broker, I provide unit tests along patchwork, but X2Go Broker has unit tests from day one.

Testing is part of the development cycle. Meaning you code production code with your left hand. And write test cases with your right hand. From the customer perspective there is no such choice to implement a feature without tests. It's either a new feature with test cases, proper review, and static code analysis, etc. Or they have nothing.

This is all very easy, if you started with such a development design from day one. That's why I recommended to introduce unit tests to libx2goclient (we are at day 1.5 regarding this shared lib).

Introducing unit tests is painful on existing code, esp. if as comprehensive as X2Go Client.

In X2Go, like in many other upstream projects, we have to prioritize. And priority goes in providing continuous compatibility with all those changes that occur out their (DBus user session concept of systemd, desktop environment changes, window manager changes, etc.).

I don't want to be rude, but it's a mindset change. Hopefully you get my point. The same is done in all my projects and the company I work for.

You, in fact, sounded a little rude to me, indeed. However, I get your point and ideas behind it. If you mean what you write, please follow Alex position and start join the work. I am looking forward to your upcoming contributions.

light+love
Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: mike.gabr...@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de