--- Tom Bradford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > * As Dare Obasanjo already mentioned the tying of
> services to
> > collections is not very practical. I think this is
> definitly something
> > that should be changed.
>
> I disagree.  A Service is a Collection augmentation
> mechanism and may be
> exposed with multiple implementations of the same
> interface depending on
> which collection it is augmenting, which would
> especially be important
> for servers whose underlying data model is
> aggregated from a variety of
> sources.  To say that it shouldn't be associated
> with individual
> collections makes it much more difficult to
> implement.

What you have described is an implementation detail
that should be hidden from the user. Secondly I'm not
even sure I understand what it means. However, I do
understand that to start a transaction, perform a
query or an update I need to first grab some
collection object and then grab a service object from
it.

So if I grab a the "/db/my_collection/xsl/" collection
and obtain a query service or transaction service.
Does this mean that I can't use this object to start a
transaction or perform a query if I'll be performing
operations on the "/db/schemas/" collection?

If the answer to the above question is Yes, then this
is an issue that will cause user confusion and perhaps
errors (standardization on getting services from the
DB root would help but then defeats the purpose of
tying services to collections in the first place).

If the answer is No, then there doesn't seem to be any
justification in tying services to collections.

=====
LAWS OF COMPUTER PROGRAMMING, VIII
Any non-trivial program contains at least one bug.
http://www.25hoursaday.com
Carnage4Life (slashdot/advogato/kuro5hin)