On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 02:01 PM, Tom Bradford wrote:

Yes... and it shouldn't cause confusion because Services as they're implemented at the moment can't be repointed to other Collections. To a Service, the Collection provides context. It may be a starting context for recursive processing, or it may be a singular context... Depends on the nature of, and how the service is implemented. There's nothing stopping someone from implementing a Service that is tied to the root Collection of the database and operates on the database as a whole, but not allowing the possibility of context would be too restrictive contextually, where naming and implementation flexibility are concerned.

The problem comes if there is no root collection. For instance I have an Oracle 9i impl where the collection hierarchy is flat. I had to synthesize a root collection in order to have a starting point to create collections.
This isn't intuitive when the database doesn't support a hierarchy of collections. I actually agree with Dare on this, Services tied to collections is too limiting. We need a cleaner distinction of database level services. I don't think all services should be database level, but the concept needs to exist.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Apache Xindice (Native XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org

Contact administrator:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Read archived messages: http://archive.xmldb.org/

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/