On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

An alternative idea was to add a KISS network interface, for use with
things like socat et al.  Would allow the MKISS daemon to talk to
network ports instead of named pipes, and has the added benefit of
allowing xastir to talk to network serial ports.

That would be sweet.  I hear there's a possible solution to the
remote TNC problem coming out soon from someone else.  I don't know
details but I know someone who's beta-testing it.  If it's
open-source it'd be a shame for you to duplicate effort along those
lines, that's why I'm mentioning it.

Looked it up, it was in a message to this list from Tom Russo just
this week:

While running Xastir this way is cute, ultimately I'm planning on
using the plug mostly as a central TNC server using AX.25
networking and a currently-unreleased piece of code called
"ldsped" that is a Linux daemon that talks AX.25 networking and
the AGWPE protocol (currently in beta, the author provided me with
an x86 binary and says he expects to release source in July or
August, at which time I plan to try it on the Sheeva).

So, a slightly different idea from yours.  Says "expects to release
source" so we can hope it's under a reasonable open-source license.

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer