I think I figured out what's going on (and for posterity sake I will
elaborate.) Anaconda never uses the provided kickstart directly, it always
creates it's own kickstart file.  The kickstart provided by xCAT simply
provides answer to Anaconda just like the interactive GUI or text install
configurator would provide (I would guess that Anaconda doesn't even know
how it got the answers, whether from kickstart or GUI or text
configurator.)  Anaconda then runs any "%pre" sections, slurps in any
"%include" files, and probably other stuff, then sanitizes all the data and
creates the actual settings file it uses for the install, which is saved in
/root/anaconda-ks.cfg.

As Jarrod suggests, I simply need to get my own "ignoredisk --only-use"
line into the kickstart so that Anaconda does not add it's own.  I tested
by hardcoding the line directly in
"/opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/centos/compute.centos7.tmpl" and indeed
Anaconda did not add it's own ignoredisk directive.  I do not want to
hardcode the "sda" value, so would like to make it a little more dynamic.

However, if I provide my own script to osimage.partitionfile, the default
xcat partition script output is not included in the kickstart.

In the simplest of terms, what I need is "ignoredisk --only-use=$instdisk"
in
/opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/scripts/pre.rh.rhels7
Is there a way to access $instdisk in my own script?

Or, is there a (clean) way to get both "%include /tmp/partitioning" AND
"%include /tmp/partitionfile" in the xcat generated kickstart file?
This latter idea would allow me to output something like "ignoredisk
--drives=" for anything that should not be touched by the install.  Then
everything else could work normally.