> On 18 Jun 2015, at 19:16, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 18, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Dave <d...@looktowindward.com
>> <mailto:d...@looktowindward.com>> wrote:
>>
>> It amazes me that XCode still actually puts formatting information in the
>> file itself, IMO, it would be better to store source files with no white
>> space and reformat it as per the users preferences when they open the file.
>
> That would make source code unreadable in other text editors,

That’s true, although you could “export” the file in your favourite format or
better still, add some formatters at the system level.

> in ‘git’ diffs, on Github, etc. It would probably also completely break
> merging in any source control system, since that’s always based on source
> lines. Source control would probably treat the file as binary and refuse to
> do any diffing/merging.

Obviously the git Client would have to be smart enough to display it correctly,
but as there would be no formatting information in the file, it would compare
the raw data and then display it using the same rules.

It would be similar in concept to a MS-Word .doc or .docx file.

>> That way, we could all views comments and format it how we like to see it.
>> For instance, some people like the K&R Style and some don’t, some like to
>> indent code, some don’t.
>> This is how Think Pascal worked IIRC (was a *long* time ago!).
>
> Yeah, and about ten years ago I dug up an old floppy with some interesting
> Pascal code I’d written back in 1989 and wanted to have a look at. Only I
> couldn’t read it, because THINK Pascal saved source files in an proprietary
> binary format. I had to dig up an old copy of the app (on another floppy) and
> find an old Mac that it would run on, so I could open the files and save them
> as text. If that happened now I would probably just give up. :-p

lol, I still have a Quadra 950 running System 7 - so if you ever need to do
this just ask!

Cheers
Dave